Tuesday, 4 October 2011

The view from here....

I'm a primary school teacher. I've taught in a number of schools across a number of Australian states. I've been doing this for a few years now, so I've met and worked with a few teacher librarians along the way. I should know all about what they do, right?

Well, I should - but I didn't. 
My understanding (like so many others) of what a teacher librarian does in a school is, or was, very superficial. When the TL at my last school approached me and asked "What do you want me to teach your class this term?", I said simply "Library skills" and that was it. It's not that I didn't want to collaborate - it was just not really knowing what she could do. I mean, I always knew she was an experienced and effective teacher, so I didn't want to impose on her my idea of what she should be teaching. The exchange wasn't very productive or collaborative I'm afraid to say. Rather, it was a failure of communication and understanding from the both of us. Perhaps in our time-poor profession, we had both made assumptions about our roles and understanding.
As a TL, I hope to educate my colleagues to make them better aware of scope of services I can provide.

0 comments: